You are here: Home / Archive / 2009 / March / Library Receives Grant for Digital Archive

Library Receives Grant for Digital Archive

The Library received a grant from the Palo Alto County Gaming Development Corporation to put the Graettinger Times on a digital archive.

Genealogists everywhere will soon have an easier way to look up family history here in Graettinger.  The Graettinger Public Library has received a grant from the Palo Alto County Gaming Development Corporation to put the Graettinger Times on a digital archive. 

The library has copies of the local paper, or microfilm since 1895, with the years 1936-1938 missing.  Unfortunately those seeking to look through them must be present here at the library.   The new digital format would allow people everywhere to look at archived copies of the paper online from any location. 

Another exciting feature of the new system is that the site will be searchable by name or event.  For people looking for all mentions of a specific person or family, they would not have to search every paper, but would be able to type in a name and find all mentions of that person.  Or if someone knows an event took place in the summer of 1962, but does not remember the exact month or date, they could type in information concerning the event and find it much easier than under the current system.

The project will be carried out by Heritage Microfilm of Cedar Rapids, which does all of the microfilming for the State Historical Society. 

This is a matching funds grant with the PACGDC paying for 75% of the cost of the project, and the library paying the remaining 25%.  Anyone interested in making a tax deductible contribution to this project please feel free to contact the library.